When companies create products and make them available for sale, they have a responsibility to ensure that they are safe and that they don’t have any defects that could cause accidents, injuries, or death.
If products that are unsafe do make it to market and wind up injuring someone, the injured party may be able to take legal action against the company that manufactured the product. Depending on the problem with the product, they also may be able to go after the company that made any parts that comprise the product, the company that assembled the product, or the company that offered the product for sale.
If you or someone you are close to has been injured by product, you may have grounds to file a lawsuit. If you decide to pursue legal action, it is important to choose an experienced, well-educated lawyer to represent you. Below are some helpful suggestions on how to go about finding the best product liability attorneys in New York.
2. Reach out to your local bar association. They should be able to recommend members who have a good standing in the community and a solid reputation for helping their clients succeed.
3. Do in-depth research on any lawyers that you are considering working with. Find out where they attended law school and how long they have been practicing law in your area. Make sure that they specialize in product liability cases and that they have worked on cases similar to your own in the past. If possible, you can even try to find information on some of the past cases that they have worked on so you can see whether they won or lost. Also, check online for reviews from clients that they have previously worked with. Together, all of this information should give you a relatively complete picture of the overall qualifications of each lawyer that you are considering.
4. Schedule consultations with several of the most promising lawyers on your list. The vast majority of lawyers will meet with you the first time for free so that they can help you determine if you even have a case. Try to be as prepared as possible for these meetings. Chances are, you won’t have a lot of time to present the details of your case. The more organized you are, the better chance you have of finding a lawyer who is willing to take you on as a client.
As you meet with each lawyer, you should get enough good sense of whether or not they are the right choice for your case. Do they seem knowledgeable? Are they interested in helping you? Do they take the time to answer your questions and to address your concerns? How carefully do they listen to you? Do they ask questions to get more information or do you get the sense that they really can’t be bothered to put a lot of time and effort into your case? The answers to these questions can guide you in choosing the best lawyer.
5. Ask about the attorney’s fee structure. Some lawyers charge by the hour whereas others only get paid if you win your case. It is important to know upfront exactly how much you will need to pay for the attorney’s services. If you choose a lawyer who charges by the hour, try to get an estimate of how many hours your case might take. That way, you can get a general sense of the overall costs of taking legal action. Otherwise, your expenses could quickly get out of control.
6. Once you choose an attorney, read any documents carefully before you sign them. It is important to know exactly what you agree to when you hire a lawyer. If there is anything in the paperwork that you don’t understand, ask the lawyer to explain it to you. They should be more than happy to answer your questions and make sure that you are comfortable with your working arrangement.
When it comes to finding the best product liability attorneys in New York you may want to check out: http://www.yourlawyer.com/new-york-personal-injury, If you hire a good firm like parker waichman it is much easier then trying to do your homework and represent yourself. By spending a decent amount of time comparing all of your available options, you should be able to focus in on the attorney who is the most capable of helping you get a favorable outcome in your case.